Thursday, June 25, 2009

I shot Jerod Mayo

Multiple times actually. It's okay though, he shot me back. On the Friday of April 10th I was excited to see an ad on GameStop's window announcing that the Defensive Rookie of the Year Jerod Mayo would be making an appearance at GameStop's Tournament Store in Patriot Place to play games with fans. Excitement ensued.

I called the store that night to ask how it was all going to work and he said Mayo would be playing Midnight Club 3 and he couldn't guarantee that Mayo would sign anything. Well my brother had just given me an authentic Jerod Mayo jersey for Christmas so I had to go try and get it signed, for free!


A typical New England day, it downpoured and then snowed in the beginning of April. I got there early and there were only a few people there. I was about 45 minutes early anyways. After throwing my jersey on I decided to play some Guitar Hero: Metallica and show off my skills to the 10 year olds. Of course with my string of luck, a line had formed while I was jamming like a pro.

As it worked out, Jerod Mayo showed up with his buddy Gary Guyton, another Patriots linebacker. They were set up on the same TV and began to play Call of Duty 4. Eight people got to play for 10 minutes and most of them ended up running away from Jerod and Gary. When it was my group's turn to play I quickly picked my weapon of choice and ran out in search of Jerod while GameStop staff instructed older men how to play. It was far from my best performance, but I ended 2-2 against Mayo. The experience was made a lot better with the fact that I came up to him from behind and knocked him out with my pistol. Hah! I do wish however that someone else had gone with me because then I would have been comfortable talking trash, as Mayo was doing non-stop. Credit to the both of them, they played great. Mayo pistol-whipped a couple people, killed about 15 people in a row with a machine gun mounted to a jeep, but was later sniped in the head by his teammate Gary.

The best part was that after playing, we were allowed to ask them to sign, and I got my jersey signed! Gary did appear to feel somewhat left out as not everyone had something for him to sign, but hey, he didn't even know he was coming. I thought it was great that the both of them came out to play for a couple hours. It gives the fans a stronger connection to the players they watch every week during the season. I hope that sometime in the future a couple other players decide to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. aww cute :) great story haha
    I knew who Jerod Mayo was actually & I remember he was really good when I watched him play last season =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea he's pretty good. Only had 100 solo tackles last year.

    ReplyDelete