Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ben Watson: Don't Get Cut

Training camp starts next week and I'm very excited. Not only do you get the chance to see the team practice, but you also have the opportunity to try to get some autographs! There are definitely going to be some position battles present and there is one in particular that I am worried about; tight end. I say this because I am worried this could be Ben Watson's last year as a Patriot if he doesn't step up once and for all.

Ben Watson is one of my favorite players and I like him so much for a number of reasons. For starters, he has amazing football ability. Erik Scalavino of Patriots Football Weekly even said Watson possesses " the freakish athletic ability to be an Antonio Gates- or Tony Gonzalez-type tight end". This talent has been visible many times, but not enough, and not lately. Ben has made quite a few key plays in the past and has been pretty productive as far as yardage and touchdowns. His great hands and athleticism allow him to make great catches, and his 6'3" 255lb build allows him to plow over people. However, he has also fallen victim of the dropsies, a lot.

Let's go to another high note before I go down again: Besides Ben's talent, he never gives up. This is pretty much the largest part of why I am a huge fan of his. Remember the 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff game vs. the Denver Broncos? The Patriots went 10-6 after their second Super Bowl win in a row and were looking great; but they beat themselves and lost 27-13 to the Broncos. Most memorable part of the game? Champ Bailey's 100 yard interception return that did not result in a touchdown. If you do not remember this, or have not seen it, I urge you to watch it now. I don't need to further explain the video, but that was just pure effort, pure heart. I loved this play so much that my friend actually recreated it for me.





Now just to give you some size perception, this piece is about 9 inches long x 7 inches wide x 7 inches tall. My friend uses NFL action figures, I believe they are manufactured by McFarlane. I know the upper body of Champ Bailey is the real one, but he used legs from a different player and just painted them. As for Ben Watson, I believe part of him is the Cedric Benson figure, but I honestly forget, I will have to ask my friend. Pretty damn cool though huh? The grass isn't just painted either, it's grass that you get for model train tracks or something.For the record, I accidentally moved Bailey over too much during this photo shoot. He's usually in bound more, making the scene more dramatic!

So here's Watson's problem: It's the last year of his rookie contract so it's do or die in camp. This is also looking to be the biggest competition we've seen at tight end in a long time in Foxboro, if not ever. What other TE's are going to be at camp this week?

  • Tyson DeVree - 2nd year - Has shown good catch ability, but very unproven compared to rest of competition.
  • David Thomas - 4th year - Only 1 career touchdown, but considered a better blocker than Watson. Maybe he just needs more opportunity?
  • Chris Baker - 8th year - The Patriots signed a respectable tight end here who previously played for the rival New York Jets. Baker has great experience but had a very non-impressive year in 2008.
  • Alex Smith - 5th year - The Patriots traded to acquire Smith from the Buccaneers, so they obviously like him. Smith has been steadily consistent in his four years in Tampa Bay which really hasn't shined on the offensive side of the ball lately.
All 5 ends are between 6'3"-6'6" and 245-258lbs so there won't be any size competition. With this year's offense looking to be very powerful, with lots of options, there may not be one clear cut go-to tight end. I can see two being used equally as much depending on the offensive package.

Fundamentally, the more versatile end will have the #1 spot. Which one of these 5 men can dominate in protecting Brady from the pass rush, but also break free from scrimmage, grab a Brady bullet, then gain decent YAC.

Obviously I want Ben to win the job. He's a great player, has immense potential, and he's a very giving person off the field as well. He went on a USO tour a couple years ago, and he also started a charity with his wife; One More - helps to "promote education and providing enrichment opportunities through initiatives and partnerships."(Michael Brindley) Latest fundraiser
This isn't to say the others competing aren't giving people, I'm just trying to promote Benny a little more. :)

My prediction:
DeVree gets sent to practice squad. Watson wins the #1 spot because of his familiarity in the system on top of being more consistent. Alex Smith takes second spot, but they share about equal playing time throughout the season. Baker and Thomas battle it out for the third spot, whoever gets 4th gets cut. OR! The Patriots make a tight end-full back hybrid and keep all four. I really think Watson will play an important role in the'09 offense.

Ben Watson's Bio Page


Let's go Pats !!

No comments:

Post a Comment